Frozen Dead Guy Days.

It's current Saturday night and I'll be doing away with the beard tomorrow after work. I've made sure to stock up on shaving cream, aftershave, soothing lotion, and of course I have an industrial strength trimmer.

But that's not why I'm posted. Today Drakos the Elder and I took the bus to Nederland. Now, that's not a euphemism, we actually visited a small mountain town about fifteen miles west of Boulder. Whereas it has been (and will continue to be!) in the mid 60's in Boulder, this little town was still covered in snow, and as a matter of fact there was practically a blizzard for a few hours while we were there. Anyway, as it turned out, we quite randomly stumbled upon one of their biggest annual events, The Frozen Dead Guy Days. That link should give you most of the info of that, but, in the event that you're lazy or uninterested in the links that I painstakingly put in every one of my entries, I'll tell you a bit about it. Apparently some old Swedish guy died and they brought his frozen corpse into Nederland.



Every so often his family goes to lump more dry ice on him so that he stay forever persevered. This has been going on since like 1992. It wasn't until 94, however, that the town learned of the frozen dead guys presence in their quiet town. They were understandably freaked out, but it appears that capitalism "saved the day" as they realized this was a chance to make their frequently unnoticed town a little more popular. So basically they have events every year, like the coffin races, and well... beer... everywhere. The New Belgium Brewing Company, a local company from Fort Collins, had the town well stocked for the occasion. So, all in all, despite quite a snowfall, it was a pretty good day trip. My brother and I also reserved a car for next week, when we will hopefully be able to take a trip to Colorado Springs. I can't really go without seeing a place actually called The Garden of the Gods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?