My Terminal M.A. among other things.

I've pretty much decided at this point that spend another three year to five years in school beyond my supposed 2009 graduation isn't really what I'm looking for. I know my limits in the academic world, and I'm thinking the lifestyle of a Classics Professor, although glamorous, would probably send me straight into an early grave. That doesn't even include what I would go through as I tried to whore myself from school to school looking for someone who thinks my scholarship isn't just a load of horse-shit, which up it has been to this point and probably into future. Let's face it, I clearly moved to Colorado for the sunny beaches, not it's stellar Classics Department.

I took the first exam of my graduate school career on Tuesday, and I was shocked to find that I didn't do all that bad on it, and really all I did to study was re-read all the Latin we've done so far, which the second time through wasn't nearly as time consuming. So it looks like I might make it through the program after all, and I might even learn something in the process, but still I fear the day when I'll actually be taking more than one class. The horror. I may even have to take three one semester. The agony. So in the event that things stay the way they're going, I may finish my M.A. before it finishes me.

Also, my brother showed up this week. I keep trying to show him the sights here, but it kept snowing, and also I've never really done anything here before, aside from work, go to school, blog, and play videogames. But I'm gonna blame it mostly on the snow. And I guess I'm lying a bit. Since his arrival we did see Babel at Boulder Theater, where you can drink beer and watch movies, and last night we saw The Fables, a Beatles cover band, at an Irish Pub. I had seen them once before, and they do a fine job, but it was Drakos the Elder's opinion that the set list was abysmal. I believe I'm not far from accurate to quote as saying something to the effect of, "Where's my White Album?" and "SEXY SADDIE!"

Apparently I am the spitting image of my father when it comes to anything involving my apartment. I seem to have the opinion that since I pay the rent I'm entitled to force him to clean up after himself quickly, so that the mess that I already create isn't added to and push beyond my limits. But honestly, since he's been here he's erased my cookies, which streamline my browsing experience, ruined the integrity of my iTunes Library with the likes of KrautRock, and spilled candle wax onto my carpet. I fear that it has bonded to the fibers forever. We run a tight ship over here, and I can't back down or else life as we know it will be changed forever. I'll let you draw you own conclusions about what a place run by my brother would amount to. Also, my brother had the audacity to insult my hair, and worst all refer to the Nintendo Wii-remote as a piece of junk that was in no way original or inventive and not only has nothing to add to game controller, but subtracts from the enjoyment significantly. He then proceed to tell me that no system following the SNES, including every venture by Sony, Sega, and Microsoft, has been worthwhile and at all useful. After struggling to catch my breath after the notion that the gaming industry has wasted these last 15 years, just as I have playing these games, I was able to contain myself because he is just as disappointed at the very way this world's economic system works. It is his opinion that everything about the way society buys and sells culture is mistaken. $50 videogames on $300+ consoles that are obsolete every five years, iPods run by the iTunes system which is purposely designed to snub technology that has existed for years that would allow the mass sharing of music. His definition of what exactly the Public Domain should include is vastly different than what our world appears to have put into practice. I can't help but agree that with the technology that exists we could easily do a lot more, such as trade multimedia wirelessly to anywhere in the world, but I still can't even fathom the device he speaks of that supposedly could exist; the philosopher's stone that would eliminate the compartmentalized life that modern electronics have forced to create, where music, media, games, and information branch apart. I think in his picture, the game aspect of this device includes the Power Glove. We are of a different generation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear god drakos, edit for GRAMMAR, man. i assume the sentence involving "scholarship" was intentionally awful, but aside from that you're missing all kinds of articles and other parts of speech. and yes this comment is exempt from my own grammatical criticism. cuz i know you're going to delete it, ya commie.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Drakos! said...

First of all, when using the phrase "my scholarship" I was referring to the scholarly papers I am expected to write, this is what we in academy call them. I suppose I could have said, "my papers" but as I am now expected to be writing at rather professional level, I opted to use the former. Although a different field, you might come upon this if you ever finish undergrad, and continue your education beyond that. Second of all, I could indeed proof-read my work and get rid of 99% of my typos where I forget certain endings. Sometimes I try to, but since this is not a work of scholarship and even borders on stream of consciousness, depending on how tired I am, I don't feel obligated to proof-read. I write mainly for enjoyment, and to vent my stress and anger, not usually to develop a credible argument.

Thanks for calling me a communist and a fascist. What's the next step after that, terrorist? fanatic? libertarian?

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?