Today I have an Agenda.

I know I don't normally do this, but I just received an e-mail petition that informed me that in Bush's new budget, in order to afford dumping several billion more dollars into Iraq, funding for NPR and PBS will be cut drastically. If you care at all about National Pubic Radio or the Public Broadcasting Service, or if you just want to humor me, it only takes a minute to sign the petition. Even though it's gotten all weird with all the Spanish monsters, could you imagine a generation of children not having Sesame Street? And for that matter shows like Reading Rainbow, and that one with the aardvark guy? And don't even get me started on NPR, lest this turn into a twenty page doctrine on podcasting (which as per my style would contain very little factual information, and many crazed illogical assertions). Although it is unlikely that Congress will let most of the cuts Bush proposed go through, he's going to find his money somewhere. I'm just asking that we do what we can to avoid losing the last media haven, which remains uncorrupted by advertising, as it falls through the cracks of our society. Sign it not just to ensure the safety of public broadcasts today, but so that we can make funding for these services permanent. Thanks all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?