Daylight Shavings Time.

Well, my pun, five months in the making is finally coming to light.... daylight I should say. Back around Halloween I had grown out a simple mustache for my Pedro costume, but as I hadn't then (nor have I now) come to grips with my Puerto Rico heritage, I shaved it off straightaway. I happened to notice on this night that it was also the last night of Daylight Savings Time. Like the clever fool that I am, I devised a plan like no other. Well... basically to grow out my facial hair until the spring. So fast forward to mid-March, and what do I discover? Why, DST begins weeks earlier this year, for some bizarre reason (which will destroy the world), and thus I will be parting with my full beard this weekend. This comes as somewhat depressing news to me because just last weekend for the first time, I was called "a real Boulderite" because of my shaggy appearance. This was of course prejudicial, I am nowhere near as cool or interesting as someone with the title Boulderite needs to be. I do eat organic food when possible, I do have a strong desire to practice certain Eastern arts (like tai chi or qi gong) even though I've slacked off on that, and I am weird, there's no doubt there. However, it's more of a neurotic kind of weird. According to the constant judgments my brother makes about every aspect of my life I am obsessed with certain categories that are mere social constructions. Inside vs Outside. Clean vs Dirty. Men vs Women. Also I'm a fanatical tyrannical despotic totalitarian ego-maniacal fascist when it comes to my own apartment, within which he, in my opinion, has become a squatter. Going back before I digress further, perhaps I am too wound up. Wound not like the bleeding and oozing kind, but as in past tense of wind... and wind not like "Wind in the Willows" (Grahame, 1908), but rather "a rock to wind a string around" (They Might Be Giants, 1989).

But despite my reluctance, I'm not about to break the promise I made to myself while walking home through the first taste of this seasons bitter cold, wearing a ridiculous Pedro wig. So.. now it's past four AM, since my brother's hijacked the computer for a while so he could figure out which local candidate to back. That's like 6am in Maryland. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?