Such Majesty 1: Grand Tetons

I'm back in Boulder for the time being, so now I can in good conscience continue this blog...

Last week I was able to take a week long trip with my parents through Wyoming and South Dakota, stopping at a number of parks and monuments along the way, so here it is! My three part coverage of the trip.

Our first stop was at the beautiful Grand Teton National Park. A few miles south of Yellowstone, this park is the home of one of the most magnificent mountain ranges I've ever seen. The titular mountain is of course the Grand Teton, neighbored by the Middle and Lower Teton. These three got there name when French explores, seeing them from over 150 miles ago called them "the three tits (la tres tetons)."

Such Majesty.

Our day at the park was nice. The restaurants found in the park villages all offered an excellent selection of organic and vegetarian foods. Apparently the park service understands the advantages of a conservationist attitude, as it is pretty much there livelihood at sake. Climate change, industrial farming, mass-producing feedlot slaughterhouse, all of these in one way or another put wilderness areas (et al.) in jeopardy.

Anyway, we made our way along the scenic byways that parallel the mountain range, stopping along the way to take pictures. Then, just outside of Moose Junction, we saw a Moose! Can you even imagine!?

Such... Majesty?

Next, we hopped aboard a raft for a scenic float trip, that boasted astounding mountain views and wildlife spotting. It was hot and I got sunburned, and it went really slow. I guess it was kind of fun, and we did see a bald eagle, but that was about it. I wanted to see the big kahuna. The piece de resistance. The other cliche about something awesome.

A whistle-pig.

I was under the impression that this is simply another name for a groundhog. Others have told me it's a marmot. Either way I didn't see one so I don't know. But that waitress claimed they were all over the place. Gypped!

So after the raft ride we moved along to Jenny Lake, where we hiked up the side of cascade canyon, just north of Grand Teton, saw a pretty large waterfall, and then on my own I scrambled, lightheaded, to Inspiration Point. The first of many points.

"Such Majesty!" He said, in between gasping for air.

That night we stayed in the park in one of the cabins. With both running water and electricity it could hardly have been called roughing it, but it was peacefully there nonetheless (although it rained all night on the metal cabin roof). Early the next morning I took a hike through the woods, and came face to face with a coyote, a group of deer, and an ass-load of mosquitoes. After breakfast we hit the road and made our way north to the main leg of trip, three days and two nights in Yellowstone.

___________
To be continued...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?