Potcakes' Amazing Whirly-gig

So... um... I'd never imagined having to say something like this. I think my intellectual property has been stolen. You know how the RIAA gets all hot and bothered when a single mom downloads some music, and they fuck up her life forever. Yeah this is a bit different.


As some of you may know, a certain character that I used to doodle often was imitated by an acquaintance of mine whom I lost touch with after middle school. Cool. So when I was told that the drawing had become widely accepted as an Lancos bird, I was outraged, but of course mainly for comic effect. It was a doodle after all, nothing tremendously interesting. But tonight I was invited to join a Facebook group in which one can purchase a T-shirt of the "Lancos Kiwi" for 15 US$. The group's main function is to spread the phenomenon of the image. I'm all for the kiwi becoming a popular. Somehow using it for monetary gain concerns me. Let us review the case of Joseph Swan, the first to patent the light bulb, some say. What also bothers me is his use of a trademark next to the drawing. Is this to prevent others from ripping off his idea? I leave it at that. I intend to congratulate him on creating such a following for my favorite bird. We'll see what happens from there, and whether or not I'll have to fish through my old things at home to find one of the thousands of kiwis I drew in years before I met this fellow. To be fair he did invite me into the group, and perhaps recognition is among his reasons for doing so. Equally likely, he doesn't even remember where he "thought it up," and was a mass group invite. And in all honesty my brother/Jumping Flash probably deserves the credit for it all. Hmmm.... more on that later.

_______________________
What's life without juicy details?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I joined this rather peculiar facebook group. I don't think I'm getting a shirt. And yes, it did occur to me that you deserve some credit - as does "Jumping Flash 2: Big Trouble in Little Muu/The Two Faces of Baron Aloha." Also, whenever I drew the Kiwi, it always had three legs. Did yours have two or three? This is important.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Drakos! said...

I assume you mean toes. Yeah I draw them with three. With the exception of the icons, 32x32 pixels was too small draw three toes in reasonably.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I meant toes. I'm dumb. Two just doesn't seem right.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Hannah Enenbach said...

Sue! Sue like the true American you are! I'm joking, obviously.

...I realize that by leaving a comment I am making it obvious that I read your blog, thus making everything awkward, but I think I'm comfortable with that.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?