The Miss List: #7 The Drakos Classic

Living in the dorms with no real way of getting off-campus left me with few choices for food other than the campus dining halls. As I lived in the high-rises the only real option I had was the Ellicott Diner. Now many people have bad-mouthed the ol' Diner, but frankly, they had FOOD! I needed food! Before college, living in my home I rarely had the privilege of having a warm meal cooked for me, so having a building full of warm food was appreciated, regardless of the quality therein. For any of you who have complaints about Diner food, I have one word for you. Cuitlacoche.

(The Diner - July 2006)


Now once I had grown weary of waiting in lines constantly whatever bland concoction they were serving (don't bother point out the hypocrisy in my bad-mouthing the Diner after my previous rant) I became inventive, if you will. Clucker's, the rotisserie chicken counter, often had adequate potatoes, but I disliked the dryness of their chicken, so I would get just the sides and combine it with the chicken fingers from Al's Grill (once in a blue moon deep fried to perfection). Now after getting mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and chicken so many times I crazed a change. Also the unpredictable edibility of the macaroni made it often a problem. So I got the idea to go to the vegan counter, Sprouts, and get their white or brown rice. Here's the best part: Mix them all together and you get a gravy covered rice and potato sludge which was perfect for masking the occasionally over cooked breading on the chicken, when dipped and covered generously. Since my dorm mates had already named a chicken and fry combo with old-bay and BBQ sauce 'The Classic' my frequent choice was dubbed The Drakos Classic.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?