The Miss List: #10 College Park, MD

When I first arrived at the university four years ago, probably the most significant change was living with friends rather than family. Living in close proximity with so many college students was definitely something different. The first week or so was really just an extended sleep-over, as my room-mate and I had already been good friends for quite a while. I've heard many people criticize the dorms for a number of reasons, many of which are true, but hell, at least everything was in one place. At home if I wanted something, a pair of scissors perhaps, I would have to go down a flight of stairs and search endlessly through kitchen drawers until I found lefties. So anyhow, for the first two years of college I lived in a eight story, unair-conditioned behemoth of a building (this thing survived a direct hit from a tornado) complete with a fallout shelter in the basement.

(Denton Hall - October 2005)

Although I would never move back into a triple (uuguh) I still had a lot of good times smack in the middle of the collegiate world. But after two years of 'sexiling', arguments (fan related and otherwise), pranks, and completely losing all patience to deal with other people, I was quite pleased with the idea of my own bedroom and bathroom, and so leaving the dorms behind, I got my first apartment. As I'm leaving soon, I see no problem with you all knowing where I live:

(Courtyards - June 2006)

I think I'll get the bad points of my place out first. AIR-CONDITIONERS. Look at the picture... four of them. Right outside my window. Four giant fan units turning on and off (BZZZZZZZTTT) all hours of the day and night. Even now. Right now. This second as I'm typing I can hear one of them going. Right now it sounds like an old refrigerator, which isn't so bad, but this the is one farthest from my window going right now, in a few minutes there will be a sudden clang and the sound will double as two of the four run simultaneously. It would be okay if the noise was a constant thing, ears can adapt to white noise easily enough, but there's always that one hour every so often where it's completely silent. AH!! (the second one just turned on). That hour deceives!! Anyway, as this is the Miss List and not the Gripe List I'll move on to the good. High-speed internet and utilities were included. That's all. I am so done with this state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ride to the Top?